Brunchin' in Balham

31.5.16

A Second Serving reviews Gazette in Balham...

If you're out and about in South West London and fancy a slice of rural France in food form then you really must pay Gazette a visit. The stylish and relaxed restaurant, which is just a five minute stroll from Balham station, offers a range of seasonal French delicacies on a large all day menu. In the summer, the front part of the restaurant opens out onto Balham High Road, making it a pleasant place to sit and watch the world go by, continental style. I visited for brunch at the weekend and found the restaurant to be bustling, yet not too busy, with a mix of customers, old and young.

Heaven in a saucepan

Why go?

When I first glanced over the menu, which pays homage to Gallic bistro greats from foie gras, snails and moules mariniere, I initially felt a little overwhelmed by all the fancy French words. Fortunately, the breakfast, when it arrived, was as sophisticated and refined (unlike me!) as it sounded. After a recommendation from my friend who'd visited before, I went for the cocotte meurette which turned out to be AMAZING. The dish consisted of three fried (yolky, yes!) eggs and French toast garnished with pancetta and mushroom in a red wine sauce. It came in a cute rustic cast-iron pan, so not only did it taste bloody delicious, it looked the part too. The French toast in particular was crispy, greasy yet oh so more-ish. My friend chose a similar dish but with parmesan grated on top. Each dish cost just £6.50 each, which is an absolute steal in my opinion.

The mushroom and parmesan alternative

Downsides?

I'm going to sound super fussy but I'd have liked a bigger pot for my tea! Ridic I know, in the grand scheme of things, but everything else about the breakfast was pretty much perfect. I will definitely be back soon for another fancy French dish. Bon appetite!

Location?

100 Balham High Road, Balham, London, SW12 9AA.

No comments:

Post a Comment